Welcome to Yoga Rave! – Feb 9 2017
Event Description Wear your bright clothes, bring your yoga mat (or borrow one for free) and join this FREE yoga dance party with free glow in the dark paint and blacklights. It’s going to be an event to remember, designed for fun and all abilities. Space and extra mats are limited, so arrive early to ensure your spot!
**New this year: Pre-registration is now available. Some spots will be available for day-of registration but it is subject to capacity so register now to save your spot or plan to arrive very early!
Event Format Registration opens at 6:30. Doors will open at 6:45pm for you to get glow painted. Registrants will need to arrive by 7:15 pm in order to take their spot. Drop-in spots will also be available, but limited, so we encourage you to register. Yoga class will start at 7:30pm.
Location: Totem Park Ballroom | 2525 West Mall
For event related questions please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registration Deadline: 5pm on February 6th 2017, or when Registration hits capacity
Event Date: February 9th 2017
Pre Registration is sold out! Some spots will be available for day-of registration but it is subject to capacity so arrive early.
Please note: We want to acknowledge that the term "yoga" used as part of this event is referring to only the physical movements of yoga practice. Yoga is a cultural and spiritual practice with a deep history and we encourage all UBC community members to learn more about cultural appropriation of yoga. We will be offering some educational materials about this topic at our event, as well as addressing the importance of using body paint in a culturally sensitive way. If you would like to learn more, here are some great resources on this topic:
8 Signs that Your Yoga Practice is Culturally Appropriated--And Why It Matters
Is My Yoga Cultural Appropriation? And What To Do About It
Latest Yoga Rave News
- Two UBC students volunteering with UBC Recreation actually pitched Yoga Rave and they had to convince our full time staff member that this would be a success! Today, Yoga Rave is one of UBC Recreation’s largest events!
- The event is completely FREE! Yup, that’s right, you get the chance to attend one of UBC Recreation’s most iconic events for no charge! We want to make sure this event is accessible to everyone regardless of financial status.
- The event is all for fun and for all abilities; we welcome folks of all abilities.
- Why do we have the lights off and the black lights on? We are trying to create an environment where individuals feel comfortable to move in the way they want to, while still having a fun experience!
- Who will be providing us with some awesome beats for the event? We are thrilled to have DJ Gordon Patrick at our event for the second year in a row!
- The room where the event will take place will have black lights so be sure to wear white and other fluorescent colors! Why do some things glow under black lights? Find out here.
- Last year we had students point out that glow sticks are single-use products that we throw into the garbage after use. Given that feedback, we will not have glow sticks this year. Instead we will be having lots of glow paint that is water-soluble, keeping our environment free of any harmful substances!
- In addition to all the fun glow painting activities we will have an educational aspect of the event where there will be information highlighting the history of yoga, its cultural significance and the different types of yoga.
We can’t wait to see you at Yoga Rave on Thursday, February 9th!
Advanced registration for UBC’s Yoga Rave is now sold out. There will be a limited number of spots available for day-of drop-ins but it will be subject to capacity so arrive early. We look forward to seeing you at the event!
Register for your spot before it fills up!