The UBC Thunderbirds Sport Clubs (UBC TSC) are Athletics and Recreation's newest competitive option for UBC student athletes. Launched in 2015, these student-led sport teams compete in non-CIS/NAIA level competition but officially represent the University.
UBC Thunderbirds Sport Clubs currently feature thirteen sports and sixteen teams, not represented at the Varsity level, in inter-collegiate or community based competitions at a local, provincial, national, and international level.
About UBC Thunderbirds Sport Clubs
The UBC Varsity teams, as part of Athletics and Recreation, underwent a sport review process to tier the 27 varsity teams into: Tier 1, Tier 2, and Competitive Sport Clubs in order to allocate funding on a tiered system and better support the teams.
Each Sport Club is given administrative support and financial support for National Competition travel and Coaches; however each club is built on three key pillars.
Frequently Asked Questions
Although Sport Club and Varsity Student-Athletes may have similar health and competitive sport goals, UBC Thunderbirds Sport Clubs are completely student driven and compete in non-CIS and non-NAIA competition. Competitive Sport Clubs may have professional coaches and currently receive administrative and some financial support from UBC Athletics and Recreation; but each club in the above list is run by student leaders. These UBC students are tasked with administrative, financial, and social responsibilities for their respective teams which include: scheduling games and tournaments, handling practices and facility rentals, fundraising, organizing competition travel, and hiring coaches - just to name a few. Sport Club Executives and Athletes are presented with an excellent opportunity to build leadership, teamwork, and professional skills that can launch their careers after their time at UBC.
While the above teams will be recruiting athletes, UBC Athletics and Recreation will be recruiting clubs. Sport Clubs across campus will be able to apply to be Thunderbirds Sport Clubs for the following 2017/18 year. If you run a highly competitive team on campus and would like to take this next step, please email your inquires to email@example.com.
If you would like more information on getting involved with UBC Thunderbirds Sport Clubs, either on an existing team or for a new sport, please contact the team directly through their team email or email firstname.lastname@example.org for general inquiries.
The application process for the 2017-18 Academic Year will open on December 1, 2016.
All interested Clubs must attend one of the "UBC TSC Application Information Sessions" which will be held on the following dates:
- Thursday December 1st, 2016 at 5:00 - 6:00 pm in the Student Recreation Centre
- Friday January 6th, 2017 at 12:00 - 1:00 pm in the Student Recreation Centre
If unavailable please contact the sport club office directly.
- Thunderbirds Sport Club Minimum Eligibility Requirements
- Club Level
- AMS Club or Independent UBC Club in Good Standing for 2 years minimum or equivalent independent club history
- Financially accountable operating at a self-sustaining level
- Minimum 10 competitive members in the Club
- Strong competitive schedule accompanied by National and/or Provincial Competition opportunities
- Can elect Club Executives consisting of 4 roles
- In good standing with governing sports body
- Athlete Level
- UBC Student
- Enrolled in a minimum of 6 credits per term or on a co-op work term
- Student in good academic standing (minimum average 60%)
- Club Level
- For more information on applying and eligibility requirements: Click Here
- Download the Official 2016-17 Club Application Package: UBC TSC Application 2017-18 Season_Part 1 and UBC TSC Application Budget Template_Part 2
UBC Thunderbirds Sport Clubs
Student Recreation Centre
6000 Student Union Boulevard
Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z1