Student Driven. Competitive Excellence. One Community.
Interested in joining the UBC community as an official Sport Clubs Student Athlete? This is a great opportunity to connect with other students who are passionate about your sport, or previously played while growing up. Excelling on the field, in the classroom, and in the campus community is encouraged.
Each individual Sport Club hosts tryouts every year, typically in September. Connect with specific teams via email or keep an eye on each club’s page for updates on tryouts. Although previous experience is an asset, we encourage those who would like to try something new to contact the team executives for more information. If you make the team you also have the opportunity to hold various executive positions in each club.
Students who wish to compete in the UBC Thunderbirds Sport Clubs stream must first be accepted to UBC based on faculty requirements. Athletes are then expected to meet the following requirements:
- Enrolled in a minimum of nine (9) credits per term
- Maintain enrollment in the minimum number of credits for the entirety of each session
- Achieve and maintain good academic standing or passing standards (minimum 60%)
- Meet the requirements of a Co-op, Masters, or PhD. student during their work term (if applicable)
- Attend the Mandatory Athlete Orientation
- Possess AMS or Personal Insurance
- Complete and submit the appropriate Sport Clubs Forms
The amount of time dedicated to practices and games will often vary per team, however expect on average two (2) practices per week and a tournament/game on weekends.
Practices from 9:00 - 10:30 pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays, Games on Saturday nights at 8:00 pm, Team gym sessions on Sunday evenings from 7:00 - 8:30 pm. Total = a minimum of 7 hours per week.
However, those interested in holding executive positions on Sport Club teams should expect an additional 5-10 hours of responsibilities aside from practice/gym times and games.
The majority of UBC Thunderbirds Sport Club teams travel across North America for many of their competitions against other schools or club teams. Locations include:
- Vancouver and the Lower Mainland
- British Columbia
- Other Provinces in Canada
- United States (primarily in the Central or NW coast of the States)
In 2015-16 some teams travelled to Kamloops (BC), Whistler (BC), Calgary (AB), Lake Placid (NY), Raleigh (NC), Seattle (WA), Missoula (MT), and Santa Barbara (CA) just to name a few places.
We encourage all students at UBC - Domestic, International, or Exchange students to participate in UBC Thunderbirds Sport Clubs! If you are arriving at UBC in Term 2 (January), please contact the specific Sport Club Executives regarding try-outs or playing for the team.
UBC Thunderbirds Sport Clubs
Student Recreation Centre
6000 Student Union Boulevard
Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z1