Welcome to UBC Staff & Faculty Sports Day
Friday, May 5 2017 11:30 am – 1:30 pm
Participate in what your time allows!
This is a free event for all staff and faculty members and graduate students. Come and join in, enjoy some fun teamwork games and celebrate the end of the school year! This year's event is currently full, but we are accepting participants on a waitlist as we do see some teams drop out.
Participate as Competitive or Just For Fun team; teams are 4-6 people and you have a choice of physical and/or intellectual challenges.
A free lunch is provided and EVERYONE is eligible to win prizes! The average time for teams to complete the Sports Day experience is about 50 minutes with time afterwards for lunch. The awards ceremony is optional but strongly encouraged: it starts at 1:30 pm. Check out the photos from 2016.
You can register as an individual or team. Individuals who register will be matched with teammates from across campus who want to join your team, and if you're already a team, your team captain can register everyone. Challenge your colleagues with our online form!
Do you want to be a 'Competitive' or 'Just for Fun' team? It's up to you!
Both formats offer you and your colleagues a ton of fun, we'll ask you to decide as part of the registration process:
- Competitive teams play four activities in three different facilities and race against the clock.
- Competitive teams race for the Winners Trophy and eligible for participant prizes, as well as the Spirit Award.
- Ranked in order of finish time
- The single mass start time with other competitive teams at 11:30 am is strongly encouraged. Competitive teams are given a fifteen minute window to arrive, but all competitive teams must be on the course by 11:45 am (otherwise, they risk not being able to be timed and ranked). All competitive teams are given the start time of 11:45 am, if they show up after the mass start.
- Just for Fun play as many activities as you like until activities close at 1:15 pm.
- Just for Fun teams are eligible for participant prizes and the Spirit Award.
- Not timed, activities are open for you to play until they close at 1:15 pm.
- Mass start is at 11:35 am and it is optional but it's fun! (Just for Fun teams can arrive and play from 11:35 am onwards.)
- No ranking - it's just for fun!
- Awards ceremony starts at 1:30 pm (optional but encouraged!)
Please note: Competitive and Just For Fun teams will be on the course at the same time - we have a ton of games and capacity, so there's plenty of choices!
Activities: Here are some examples of the activities that have been available in past years. Stay tuned for more activities and updates!
- Monster Inflatable: This combination of bouncy castle and an obstacle course (with a dinosaur in the midst) is a great way to bring out the kid in everyone!
- Giant Jenga: Your favourite stacking and strategy game...just way bigger!
- Peer Pong: No beer, just friends. It's life sized beer pong and it was one of our most popular games in 2016, so we're bringing it back.
Registration opens March 15, 2017.
Sports Day is brought to you by UBC Human Resources in partnership with UBC Recreation.
Latest UBC Staff & Faculty Sports Day News
Sports Day registration is full, but we are looking for volunteers to help us run the event! Whether you’re a student, staff, community member, or anyone wanting to help out, we’d love to have you! Check out our volunteer page if you or anyone you know might be interested in helping us run the event. Did we mention there’s free food?